What is the digital economy?
The digital economy (sometimes referred to as the internet or information economy) is a relatively new term in government and business circles. Economic and social advancement lie at the heart of developing the digital economy.
This strategy defines the “digital economy” as "The global network of economic and social activities that are enabled by information and communications technologies, such as the internet, mobile and sensor networks." This definition is also used by the Australian Government.
Digital technologies and services are increasingly global, with both production and consumption growing exponentially world-wide. Queensland needs to embrace this global trend, effectively a new industrial revolution, in order to advance our economy, attract investment, build our prosperity and improve Queenslanders’ lives and lifestyles.
What is the purpose of the Queensland Digital Economy Strategy and Action Plan - GoDigitalQld?
GoDigitalQld is a roadmap for driving and coordinating digital economy activity that is within the Queensland Government’s remit to control directly or in partnership with other entities.
The strategy and action plan provides an effective basis from which the Queensland Government can work closely with other levels of government, business and industry peak bodies, community and human services organisations, and trusted advisors to leverage opportunities, deliver better digital services, and share information that will benefit the Queensland economy, communities and businesses.
Successful implementation of the strategy will allow the Queensland Government to take full advantage of the opportunities presented by the evolving digital economy.
What is the Queensland Government’s role and what are the implications for other departments and key stakeholders?
Given the Queensland Government’s significant influence on the State’s economic and social well-being, it is important that it leads by example in its approach to working in the digital economy. GoDigitalQld Strategy and Action Plan identifies the Queensland Government’s role as to:
- Provide leadership in setting direction on digital economy matters.
- Innovatively use digital technologies and channels to revitalise Government service delivery to its customers and improve productivity.
- Reduce red tape and regulatory barriers and administrative practices preventing greater take-up of more efficient digital government and community services.
- Better communicate to Queenslanders, businesses and industry the importance and relevance of the digital economy so they are enabled to participate in and benefit from the digital economy.
How does GoDigitalQld strategy and action plan contribute to achieving the Queensland Government’s priorities and values?
The GoDigitalQld vision, strategic objectives, desired outcomes and actions should contribute to the Queensland Government’s key priorities and values by aiming for more effective design, use and promotion of digital technologies and content to:
- Help Queensland Government in becoming the most responsive and respected public service in Australia
- Help boost productivity and ensure that the Queensland Government is well placed to deal with the economic, fiscal and demographic challenges that are facing the state over the coming decades.